Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Wounds and investments

I have been involved in several discussions over the past week about whether infant adoptees are capable of knowing that they have lost their mothers after birth. These discussions pop up on a regular basis, usually because the naysayers get their knickers in a twist when we "woundies" [aka people who have found value in Nancy Verrier's book, "The Primal Wound"] say we believe in something that is devoid of scientific evidence (per the naysayers).

What I don't understand is why people are so invested in telling other people that what they feel is wrong. The naysayers allow us our feelings, supposedly, but they tell us we have misattributed those same feelings, as if we are completely unable to understand ourselves. Someone said in one of the arguments that she thinks "woundies" feel sad because we realized over time that we were adopted and lost our natural families, but that we erroneously attribute our sadness to the original loss. I would argue that for me, at least, there is a combination of both: an original loss, and experience over time.

I lost C on the day I was born. She never saw me or held me. There is a great deal of research that shows newborns are able to recognize the voices and smells of their mothers (and working in Labor and Delivery, as I do, we have protocols that take this information as a basis for keeping mothers and babies together, as much as possible). The naysayers believe that while neonates may recognize their mothers, it doesn't mean that the newborn actually prefers the mother. That recognizing smell and sound is instinctual, not emotional. I agree that there is not scientific research that proves an indelible tie between mother and infant, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I am also unwilling to say that the keeping mothers and infants together is important for everyone except adoptees.

I have been an highly anxious person as long as I can remember, and before I could put words to it. This is my lived experience. In the recent debates, someone not adopted came along and told me that he or she has been anxious as long as he/she can remember, but wasn't separated from his/her mother, so what I am saying is hogwash. My response was that he or she feels something similar to what I feel, but there is nothing to say that everyone who is anxious has the same root cause for the anxiety.

Or in another case, a psychologist said that the primal wound theory is detrimental to potential adoptive parents, who might feel inadequate or paralyzed when they realize that their adopted infant/child has felt a profound loss. That reading Nancy Verrier's book, "The Primal Wound," could cause post-adoption depression in adoptive parents, so adult adoptees need to stop talking about these false, unscientific wounds to protect future infant adoptees from depressed parents. WTF?

After so many days and months of this, I don't understand why so many people who are not adopted have such investment in telling adult adoptees that we're WRONG when we talk about what we feel, or how we feel it. It is just so odd. It's like they think we choose to feel sad. There is no choice. For some of us, it just is. I know what I feel and what I have felt my entire life, and to have someone suggest that they know better than I do is highly presumptuous.

I was talking to my friend Thomenon today about this, and how it has some parallels with the way queer people are treated by reactionary factions in the United States. That being gay is a "choice" and that if gay people would reexamine their lives, they would see their faulty thinking. He said that the "choice" issue is bogus: he would never have chosen to be gay, given the obstacles that society puts in the way of queer citizens. He feels that there is a biological component to being gay: he always knew he was gay. And that his life as a gay man has been shaped by his place in society at large and his position in queer culture. His experience as a gay man is thus both biological and cultural in its foundation.

It is a fact that adoptees belong to families other than those we grow up with. Our feelings about being adopted are not a "choice." Seriously, if it were, I would choose to be one of the joyous, cheerful, very happy adoptees who see nothing but goodness from here to the grave. That would be a much easier path, but it's never been who I am. Cultural expectations of adoptees to be grateful and happy, adoring of adoptive families and vilfiying of natural families are also problematic to me. There is a middle road in which I love my adoptive family, love my natural family, and have felt lifelong sadness about the loss of my mother and who I might have been. Sadness that cultural expectations led me to hide and subvert until it turned into crippling self-loathing and self-doubt. NOT an inability to form lasting, meaningful adult relationships, as the naysayers have written.

Now I speak out about how I feel, and I am told that I am "allowed" to be sad, but only within the parameters that others delineate. Boundaries that "science" has set up. I love science. It's great. But not when others use it as a bludgeon to push me back into compliant adoptee mode. "Science doesn't uphold what you say, so your feelings are 'probably' invalid unless you agree with us that you started to feel sad when you were three and realized that you were adopted and what that means."

Sorry, not playing. I am too old.

Vive la resistance!

10 comments:

Von said...

WTF indeed.If the evidence isn't there to prove it then it doesn't exist despite much anecdotal evidence to the contrary.
Attributing the increase in post-adoption depression to adoptees emphasis on the Primal Wound is below despicable.And above all where is the proof???? You can't have it both ways.It is one of the most anti-adoptee statements I've read in a very long time, meddlesome, damaging and rather vicious.I say again, show us the proof.

Trish said...

I am sorry that so many people are assholes. I don't know how else to say it. Please keep expressing yourself on your terms. I, for one, and listening- and hearing you. I can only hope that my daughter can have many Karas in her world that truly understand her experience. She suffered such a great loss at birth. I am mindful of that (though depressed I am not). I hope she will never be shushed. I may have to break some heads.

sostinkinhappy said...

This whole primal wound and "does it or doesn't it exist" thing seems a bit to me like the science about the intelligence of women back in the 1800's.

Read this gem of a quote from one of the LEADING psychologists of the time, Gustav LeBon, protege of Pierre Paul Broca. It gives you a good flavor of general scientific thought of women's intelligence. As you read it, remember these theories were accepted as fact.

‎"In the most intelligent races, as among the Parisians, there are a larger number of women whose brains are closer in size to those of gorillas than to the most developed male brains. This inferiority is so obvious that no one can contest ...it for a moment; only its degree is worth discussion. All psychologists who have studied the intelligence of women, as well as poets an novelists, recognize today that they represent the most inferior forms of human evolution and that they are closer to children and savages than to an adult, civilized man....Without doubt there exist some distinguished women, very superior to the average man, but they are as exceptional as the birth of any monstrosity, as, for example, of a gorilla with two heads....A desire to give them the same education, and, as a consequence, to propose the same goals for them, is a dangerous chimera."

Needless to say, I am sure most of your readers are shocked and a bit incensed of that "scientific fact" which was published in a peer reviewed scientific journal. I know I was when I first read it! This antiquated "science" was used for years to justify the infantile treatment of women and denial their civil rights (sound familiar at all Kara, especially in context of being denied access to your OBC & how adoptees are treated in general?).

In 130 years, are we going to look back with the same kind of abhorrent curiosity on the naysayers of the primal wound theory? You know, the people who keep denying that something *VERY* hurtful happens when a baby loses her mother? Will our decendants shake their head and wonder, "What on earth were those people thinking back then to claim an adoptee isn't affected just like everyone else when they lose their mother?"

I sure would like to be a fly on the wall when psychometricians and neuropsychologists finally developed sensitive enough measures to let us peer into the minds of an infant. I have a feeling that many of our infant adoption practices will be radically altered.

P.S. What Trish and Von said.
________________________________
Reference: LeBon, G. (1879). Anatomical and mathematics research on the laws of changes in the volume of the brain and on their relations with the intelligence. Research on Anthropology, 2nd series, vol. 2, pp. 60-61.

ms. marginalia said...

Thanks, you wonderful women! I have been feeling so down and frustrated by all this.

Trish, I am here for you anytime! I am just one person, but I appreciate your listening and being supportive.

Melynda, thanks for sharing that atrocious "science." It is horrific to think how "science" is used to justify the poor treatment of others, just like the pseudoscience of phrenology was used to justify racist practices. Disgusting.

Why won't people just LISTEN? They don't have to agree, but it's not all right to tell people what they feel and why they feel it.

mari said...

"After so many days and months of this, I don't understand why so many people who are not adopted have such investment in telling adult adoptees that we're WRONG when we talk about what we feel, or how we feel it. It is just so odd. It's like they think we choose to feel sad. There is no choice. For some of us, it just is. I know what I feel and what I have felt my entire life, and to have someone suggest that they know better than I do is highly presumptuous."

I don't get it either and I wonder why it's always WOMEN who keep throwing this shit at adoptees. Could it be bullying? Do they feel like they have been treated as inferior by men and have the need to pick on someone lower in the discrimination chain such as adoptees? They know they can't pick on people with racial issues because that's not socially acceptable but picking on adoptees is just oh-so-mainstream - at least for now.

The Declassified Adoptee said...

I second the "WTF!"

As you said as a nurse and from what I know reading about childbirth myself, it would seem as though biology and childbirth set up a bond that is expected to be continued, from everything from health and mood benefits from closeness, to the infant recognition of the mother, to breast-milk tailored specifically for the infant by the mother. Why it is such a horrid and completely implausible thing to say that an individual might feel impacted when that bond is disrupted?

If it's loss, it's loss. It's not about making parents feel bad. Considering that the Primal Wound has helped so many adopted people, I disagree when others suggest that people shouldn't be aware of it or speak about it. Dis-including the possibility of the PW is the opposite extreme of *only* considering the PW as the source of issues (which I've never once heard a "woundie" suggest that loss in adoption is exclusive to the PW).

Why people can't consider what is meaningful to them and then work it out with their own therapist or other mental/behavioral health professional, rather than be scolded for what they identify with, is beyond me. When did the politics between competing psychological theories take precedence over what the actual individual in need thinks and feels is helpful to them?

Great post (((Kara))

ms. marginalia said...

Amanda, you're exactly right. We never said it was the *only* component of pain and loss. Just part of it. It's the naysayers twisting things, as usual.

They act as if we're hysterical creatures who belong to a cult that insists all people feel the same pain, from the same moment, and forever. I have never said or believed any such thing.

To me, it's like people bashing those who follow some of Freud's writings and insist that they believe everything he said without criticism. There are few people who do. Just like Verrier's book presents an idea. We can mine it for what is useful to us. I don't believe every last thing she has written, and to say I *must* and then bash me? it's ridiculous.

Mila said...

Can completely relate! I, too, have a respect & appreciation for science, yet I also think our "modern" world makes the mistake of giving it too much weight these days. Coincidentally, you & I were apparently om the same wavelength this week--we individually blogged about the same topic, even stated almost identical ideas & sentiments. Although, actually, that's less coincidence & rather further indication & evidence that there is credence & validity to our perspectives & insights.

Mila said...

that should of course be "on," not "om"...

ms. marginalia said...

Melissa, I love your blog! And congratulations on the arrival of your beautiful little boy. Parenting sure makes it clear what we missed ourselves as babies.

I truly don't understand why it winds some people up so much when we tell our stories. Why is it so important to tell us that we've imagined our entire lives? It adds such insult to injury.