Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Serendipity

So the strange goodness of my day continues. I took Callum to his Cub Scout meeting, and when I left, I noticed that A had called me. "Great," I said to myself. "He's calling to cancel his trip."

I put the kids to bed and called him back, expecting the worst. As many well trained adoptees do.

I was pleasantly surprised. He was calling because T had told him that my family and I are going to Tahoe this weekend. Turns out A is going to be up at Tahoe, as well, and he wanted to see if there was any possibility of our meeting up.

I was thrilled that he thought to tell me and even considered getting together. He and T will be there with another family, his best friend and wife and daughter. Which means he doesn't mind introducing his Yankee sister to his friend! Even if it doesn't pan out for us to meet, he wanted to. Wow. I feel loved, really loved.

He also told a really cute story about being in a "Build-a-Bear" store with W, my nephew, and his friend J (the one who will be up at Tahoe). Apparently W was sitting with his legs spread wide apart, making his bear, and ended up with a hand down his pants. He was having a good time, clearly. A was horrified and said, "Boy! What are you doing?" in his loud Southern drawl. J roared with laughter and said it was like the Clampetts [the Beverly Hillbillies] in "Build-a-Bear." So A's new thing is to call his family the Clampetts. How narrowly I missed being a Clampett--although A is very well educated for a Clampett.

Maybe things are looking up for real. But then I remember to ask: Is this my life? What cruel joke lies ahead?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Enjoy each moment. There will be many ups and downs in this journey to reunion. Try not to take either too seriously.