Tuesday, February 08, 2011

Process

My 30 days of truth are at an end. My final assignment is to write a letter to myself, describing all the things I love about me.

Dear Kara,


You are smart and strong. You do right by your friends and family, at least most of the time. I admire your enthusiasm and passion for life. You are willing to dig deep and explore, and to travel far and wide, both across the globe and within your own soul. 


You take pride in your work and don't get complacent. You are fiercely loyal and protective of those you love (and even sometimes of your enemies). You can readily admit when you've made mistakes.


You would rather take on the burdens of others than burden others yourself, especially when it comes to emotional pain. You (usually) believe the best of others until they prove you wrong. 


You value yourself as an individual, and recognize that you are only one voice within a larger community. You take your responsibility to the greater community very seriously. 


Life is a process, and you know there's always more to learn. You are humble because you are aware of how little you really know.


Keep up the good work.


I love you.


Baby Girl Newman, who held all of that potential within her tiny self

4 comments:

Trish said...

You are amazing, Baby Girl Newman. Your willingness to share has already changed our lives.

mari said...

I'm a huge fan of Marginal Perspectives.

You're one of my most favorite people on the internet and if I knew you in person I'm sure you'd be one of my favorite people in real life.

Thanks for sharing.

Third Mom said...

This is a remarkable self-reflection - kudos to you!!

And this is brilliant, I love it:

"Life is a process, and you know there's always more to learn. You are humble because you are aware of how little you really know."

Yes, I love that.

ms. marginalia said...

Thank you. I am glad in some ways to be finished with the 30 days of truth. In others, I am sad because I am so tired of all the internecine bickering in adoptoland. I see my fellow adoptees being slammed and called bitter. Nothing seems to change.