Monday, February 07, 2011

Overhaul

If I had to change something about myself, I would...

Have better hair. I am just sick of the frizzy waves.

Cook more. I am a lazy princess.

Be nicer to people. Nah, I pretty much let them walk all over me as it is.

Be neater. (Mark suggested that one, but I told him it was highly unlikely.)

Be a better mom. I wouldn't want to spoil them, though. The wicked witch thing works so well.

This is a tough one. Even with the past month's deep introspection, I am unsure what to choose.

My beloved friend N told me today that I could stop giving people second and third chances to be better people. They are who they are, and by cutting them slack, I give them even more chances to be evil to me. Yes, I think I will go with that one.

Stop giving people so much latitude.

Time to abolish "nice."

3 comments:

Third Mom said...

As my husband likes to say, "the meek shall inherit the earth, but not its mineral rights."

There's a time and a place for "nice." That time and place is not where it negatively affects your dignity. I think your friend is a wise person.

The Declassified Adoptee said...

You and I are so alike in so many ways. There are times where I catch myself and think "Amanda, no one else would let someone talk to them/walk all over them this way, why are you being so nice?!"

I think when we identify with the hurtful feeling of being rejected, we avoid wanting to make others feel the same way--even if they deserve to be told off.

Unknown said...

Standing up for yourself is one of the hardest things to do, but so important. Okay, well, some people seem to do it quite well. But then, they are usually the ones walking all over everyone else. Somewhere there should be a happy balance with not being a doormat and not being a bulldozer. When you find it, let me know! :)