Monday, February 14, 2011

Being Human

I have been watching a BBC television programme called "Being Human." It chronicles the "lives" of a werewolf, a vampire, and a ghost who wish to be human and exist without the baggage of their supernatural natures.

In the episode I watched today, George, the werewolf, was mourning the ordinariness he will never have: a home, a partner, children. He says, "This isn't the life I get now. It's something that happens to other people." He wants a mundane existence so badly he can taste it, but every time he tries to build one, he hurts other people by denying who he is. You can't take the werewolf out of the boy.

I can empathize greatly with these unmoored characters. Being adopted has made me feel, in many ways, less than human. I *am* human, of course, and I function as a human. And yet I cannot take things for granted that non-adopted people can. My skin is thin, I walk alone, and I feel most comfortable in the company of my fellow adoptees. There are days I wish I were a vampire who could take out some people who try to "fix" me or trivialize what I live, every day.

I am sick of being told that I experienced nothing amiss, that any family is as good as any other, that biological kids suffer, too. Of course they do. But they know who they are and can choose to be other than that. Adoptees had no choice. Our entire existence is based on erasure, of being changelings.

No, I don't make my own pain; it came with the package. Sorry, "scientists," you can fuck off. For those people who say that adoption is an event, not a life: you're fortunate. I wish I could take the adoptee out of me, but without it, who *would* I be? I will never know.

7 comments:

Von said...

Spot on! You know scientists only believe what they can prove, they'd aren't clever enough for the other stuff.

ms. marginalia said...

How I love you, Von! A severe lack of cleverness sums it up expertly.

Jake said...

I love Being Human, It's my favourite program (we are on series three here) And part of why I love it is because at heart it is about lost displaced people trying to find themselves, security, friendship and survive in a world where they are kind of off. So much like my experience.

Well that and Mitchell is sexy as hell!

ms. marginalia said...

I agree, Jake. Mitchell is smokin' hot. ;-)

Unknown said...

I have never watched the show, but I agree with Von. I really like this post. You are right. We cant things for granted that others can. No one will know our feelings as well as an adoptee can.

I have added you to my blog roll. Thanks for stopping by mine.

Unknown said...

I once asked my 11 year old (adopted from China) if she would describe herself as-

1. I was adopted

or

2. I am adopted

She chose #2 and scoffed at #1. She echoed your thoughts that adoption was not something that happened to her (an event) but something that was a continuing part of who she is.

ms. marginalia said...

Diane, thanks for commenting!

I know that some adoptees see adoption as a one-time-thing, not a life, and that's great. In some ways, it would make life a lot easier if I could subscribe to that. Sadly, I can't.

You sound like a really thoughtful mom. I appreciate your sharing with me.