Wednesday, December 04, 2013

Despite

Despite feeling completely undone, despite not knowing what to do when I am odd-girl out, despite all the burdens I carry, I still love people.

Being one of those for whom boxing up emotions isn't possible, I cannot just blithely trip away and pretend whole swaths of my life didn't happen. Sometimes I wish that I could. On the other hand, I don't have a lot to regret, and for that I am proud.

Nalini and I went to see Potted Potter, a delightful send-up of the Rowling series in seventy minutes. Including quidditch, believe it or not. We laughed and loved on the Englishmen playing the roles, who stumbled a few times when they realized out loud that some their jokes "don't translate for an American audience." Their Welsh accents for Dumbledore were lovely, but I am not certain how or if Americans picked it up. I even asked Nalini, "Why does Dumbledore have a Welsh accent?" She replied, "Because he's Welsh." I missed that memo completely. But as they said, "No worries. Probably most of the people don't even know what or where Wales is." It was uproariously funny, and they were certainly having a great time with all the layers that San Francisco might add to the mix.

I am taking the boys tonight because it was so fabulous. I cannot wait to see what they think as they are huge fans of the books and films. Nalini and I were also thinking that one of the characters in the show is very like Callum (the staid one who wants demands order) and the other one rather like Tobey (the one who creates chaos and hasn't read the books). I wonder if they'll identify.

The show is on for the next week in the Marines' Memorial Theater, in the Marines' Memorial Club.

I walked into the club to be surrounded immediately by memories of my brother. He was inescapable. For those of you who don't read my blog religiously, or at all, my brother is a physician who until recently was in the Navy. in 2010 he was sent to Afghanistan and was Chief Medical Officer for Camp Leatherneck, a Marine outfit. The Marines, Marines, Marines. I sent him letters and letters to his Marine address. I worried myself sick.

As I walked around the club, I heard my brother's voice telling his stories about deployment (and he is a fantastic storyteller); I remembered pictures of him in his flak gear. I was sent back to that horrible time.

I miss him, terribly so.

I sent him a photo of the signage for the Leatherneck Lounge via text. I wanted him to know he is on my mind.

I will always love him, and he will always be my little brother, despite everything we lost and will never have. And I know despite the mess that he loves me. It's just complicated. Very Intensely complicated.


No comments: