Saturday, November 19, 2011

Nicknames

I have been mulling over the nicknames that APs and first parents give their kids in blogland as a screen for their identities. I fully understand that it's not okay to blog using their real names. But some of the nicknames make me truly queasy. I have discussed this over time with different adoptee friends of mine, and the other day someone wrote a comment over on Linda's blog about how that Five of My Own woman uses insect nicknames for her adopted daughters. I finally decided to write about the nickname issue to see if people would be willing to discuss it.

I have written before about how I feel that many adoptees (myself included) are treated in society at large as less than human. [N.B.: I do not include my aparents as offenders, many friends of mine, and certain members of my natural family who are trying very, very hard to throw off received wisdom.] Adoptees are so often treated as aliens who are expected not to have feelings, and when we express feelings, we are told that those feelings are invalid, we are laughed at, we are lectured on how we don't understand "science," or we are presented with predictable litanies about our ungratefulness. I don't think I need to list those things here. You can get a great summation from Von, right here.

I have nothing against cute nicknames or sweet epithets for children. My own father calls me "Pumpkin" quite frequently, if not "KJ," my initials. I call my sons "weasels," with love. They are squirmy and active. The thing is, however, none of these nicknames are carved, statically, into the public domain. They are fluid.

I would HATE it if my parents had blogged about me and created a public persona, out of my control, in which I was known as "The Pumpkin." I always struggled with self-image, and the thought of people knowing, or thinking, of me as a large orange vegetable, whether they intended it with love, would have been fucking horrifying. It is a private name, now public because I have told you, but still. My aparents didn't use it to create a one-dimensional version of me, insinuating that there was this gooey love, when I would suspect quite the opposite: especially when my life was being plastered all over the place, with lists of MD visits, my trials and tribulations, pictures of zits and braces. "The Pumpkin" this, "The Pumpkin" that. Whether it was my amom or C, writing about "The Pumpkin," wailing about "The Pumpkin" and how she made them feel: how much control would I, "The Pumpkin," have had over this? And would I have wanted to be "The Pumpkin"? No. Fucking. Thank. You.

My amom would never have done that, even if she were parenting me actively now. My other mother would not do so, either; privacy is everything to her.

So I wonder about these adopted children with their nicknames, taken from heavily sugared pastries and insects and furry animals and people of diminutive stature. Is it about creating identities for them that allow parents to show the public on the Interwebs that they're awesome parents? So loving and intimate? Because some of these parents don't ever fucking see or touch their kids. What intimacy? Puhleeze.

From where I stand, cutesy-ass foodstuffs/objects/animals seem so one-dimensional as identities, and doesn't allow these kids to be fully human. I predict that these young adoptees will struggle under the burden of the non-human THING (pastry, insect, movie-figure, what-have-you) and won't get to be who they are in this rarified atmosphere. Perhaps that's the point, though.

I don't know what the better option is; perhaps a pseudonym, an initial? I like that M calls her daughter "Ms. Feverfew."

Remember, we are HUMAN. Please DO NOT dehumanize us. It isn't "cute." It's sweet to use diminutives and nicknames in the privacy of a home, to express endearment. On the Interwebs, it's a little like making out in public to make a point about possessing a partner: gratuitous.

Many thanks to those of you who are parents and who already blog about your placed/adopted children as human beings.

I am curious to hear what other people think. I know, that because I am an adoptee, my opinions will be flamed!

13 comments:

Real Daughter said...

Totally agree. Good God, we've seen "seabass", "cupcake", "pie", "munchkin" and that horrid international adoptress who now uses "squirt", because her child has urinary issues. She's so classy. 

It's not like there is a lack of names from famous adoptees. You know, like Joel Rifkin, Oliver, Moses, Annie, David Berkowitz or even the current holiest of holy adoptees, Steve Jobs! ;) 

The cutesy foodie/non-human nicknames are not cute and are dehumanizing and degrading- just like adoption.

But what do we know? 

Signed, 
Cockroach.

ms. marginalia said...

I love you, Linda!

I wasn't aware of "Squirt." That's truly degrading and foul. I can think of some not-so-nice nicknames for her parents for coming up with that one for her!

I personally like the nickname you gave yourself, what was it, Mean Baby #1? LOL

Jeannette said...

When I started blogging a year ago I never thought anyone would read my blog. It isn't special or unique it is just about my life in adoption. It was how I could express my pain in a healthy way. I didn't even think about using anything other than my daughter's original name. It wasn't her legal name but it was how I always thought of her. You and Joy have made me think a lot of the way I use my children's names, I do apreciate it.

Jeannette

Anonymous said...

Dear Cockroach - An AP actually calls their kid "Squirt" for that reason????? What the heck???? (P.S. I love you. You rock.)

And thank you, Ms. Marginalia. Feverfew (Tanacetum parthenium) has long been a favorite of mine. I love because it is difficult to remain sad when you see its daisy like flowers or crush the leaves and catch its delightful citrus scent. It is also a useful plant to, a definite plus to a neo-pragmatist such as myself. Beauty + usefulness = WINNER in my book.

Imagine my utter shock and surprise when I first discovered my daughter online and her user name was "feverfew." I think that is what they call adoption serendipity, yes?

Anonymous said...

Ugh. I should really proofread before I post comments. Or maybe I can blame it on this killer cold I have developed?

Anonymous said...

Synchronicity not serendipity. Man, I must be really sick tonight. I should just go to bed.

Von said...

Why not just use names like 'Commodity', 'Expensive Purchase' or 'Saved From The Gutter' which could be abbreviated to SFTG - so much more honest.Adopters could go for much more honesty in their handles too -'SaintSaviour', 'Entitled', 'Disney Princess' and 'Cake-Stall Queen' spring to mind.
It is entirely up to them what they call themselves and their purchases, but please a little tact, sensitivity and class never go amiss.
Signed GOA (Grumpy Old Adoptee), otherwise previously known to her adopters as 'Mickey Mouse' TG they didn't blog!

Sunday Koffron Taylor said...

Interesting stuff here, lots of food for thought. I love Von's comment! I started my blog to be honest, and have used my kids names, but in real life the kids I birthed, who live with me we call: Mud Puppy, Am-zilla and CoCo Monster. I wonder what that says about what I think of them?

Laurie said...

Okay, Squirt has to win the worst nickname ever award. I never use any nickname to identify either of my children. My son doesn't know his name at birth, nor has he wanted to communicate with me yet. It would be so unfair to him to use anything other than "my son" to identify him on my blog. He's a grown man. He deserves his complete privacy. As for my daughter,she's had many nicknames in her life, right now I call her "boo-boo". Sort of like Yogi Bear, Heeey Yogi, heeey BooBoo. then again, she is fifteen,,,
I would never use that nickname in public (okay, other than explaining that I call her that )

Either make the decision to call them by their names, or come up with something that won't humiliate them when they are old enough to read.

DrSpouse said...

Squirt is just weird... but there are a lot of people giving their biological and placed children unusual and even foody online nicknames (Thanksgiving Girl calls her placed daughter Cupcake; Lia calls her placed son Danger; Mission Impossible calls her bio twins Saag and Naan - which are two Indian dishes if you didn't know).

I agree that some of these kids are going to go "Mother what were you THINKING" when they read these blogs when they are older, and I'm more of the school of "use initials, and not necessarily identifying ones" which is what I use for my former foster son. I do jokily bring up weird names like Hepzibah as possible names for our future child, though.

Von said...

What's weird about Hepzibah? Especially if your last name is Menuhin? Names can be abusive as we've seen by the Adolf Hitler naming recently.Don't go there. The thought of some of these kids reading these blogs makes the stomach turn over.

Jenn Siva said...

I dont want to stick up for or justify anything here, but I do call my kid "meth head" or "full pull" and you might think if she were adopted I did it because her mother did meth, but it is because she has sooooooooo much energy. And I have a super fucked up sense of humor.

FYI: there is no meth anything going on in my household:)

ms. marginalia said...

DrSpouse: the names you mentioned were some of those that bothered me in the first place.

I don't think they're simply "cute" and harmless. "Oh, Mom, why'd you do THAT?" No, it's deeper.