Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Dissonance

I was thinking about my DNA results this morning--more about that another time--and my being 10% Ashkenazi. Several of my friends, when told, said, "Duh!" I love that. As I have written before, more than once in my past I have been grabbed by fellow students to be taken to Hillel meetings. Or Jewish boys have thought for certain I was in the tribe. Well, sort of, in a very remote way. It was strange to be recognized as being Jew-ish without having a clue about it myself.

And then...I get some photographs on my phone, from my husband, who is visiting his dad in Germany. They are reminders of the stash of photographs we can never put up on the wall. EVER. Of course, forget the one of Opa with Goebbels at Hitler Youth Camp. I find them fascinating as historical documents; they're nerve wracking otherwise since I know the sitter.

And the Ahnenpass, the official Nazi-enforced family tree/document to "prove" that there was no Jewish blood in the family.





It's just one of those days of clashing.

I think *I* have identity issues? My kids are going to have quite their own.




3 comments:

Trish said...

Oy! And, indeed!

Miss you, lady.

legitimatebastard said...

Oh, yes. I must do a DNA test soon. There's been a lot of speculation from a variety of my friends as to my physical appearance being Jewish. By adoption, I was rasied Catholic. Italian, Polish. After reunion, was told we're a mix of German, Polish, Scottish. But what I find interesting is that other people tell me I look Jewish. They're complimenting me and I have no reliable sources to tell me exactly. All family documents show Catholic background, German parentage, Polish parentage. But when people who don't know eachother see something in me that I don't know about myself, it's been knocking on my own cognitive dissonance.

I'd be happy and proud to know for sure. For this reunited adoptee, it would verify some family traits I've been wondering about.

Good to "see" you, M. I've been on a "break". Doing well. And will be in touch soon. Thanks.

LauraD said...

The legacy of the Nazis runs so deep, and the family tree is just one example. It is so important to talk about this, to recognize it--because in many cases, many from the WWII generation in Germany want to "forget," move on.

And, yes, it WILL be interesting to see how your kids process their varied biological background.