Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Searching, Part II

In 2008 my hereditary blood condition, hereditary spherocytosis (HS), caused my spleen to enlarge, my hemoglobin to plummet, and I had to have a splenectomy. Shortly after surgery I ended up with a huge clot in the portal vein in my liver. My whole GI shut down, I couldn't eat or drink, and I was in agony. I spent much of the next month in the hospital feeling like an alien with two IV sites, tubing everywhere, four pumps, and a central line into the major blood vessel leading into my heart to feed me. I was wracked by pain, both emotional and physical. One day I Googled "adoption rejection" and discovered a richness of witty, insightful blogs, written by adoptees. I was excited and enthralled, reading and laughing and crying. Amazed to see things I'd always thought coming out of someone else's brain. I commented and reached out, relieved to find a community of like-minded people at last.

Adoptees are a stubborn lot, and I made new friends who are also search angels. Adoptees rarely take "no" for an answer from anyone, let alone a CI, and the angels were helping me search outside of the CI system. I had new hope, and I truly believed that the CI might have been responsible for my first mother's negative reaction. I couldn't be sure of what she'd said to her, or if my first mother even knew anything about me. I couldn't give up. On and off the angels and I searched, using the parameters of my known last name, my grandfather's recent death, and the geographical region. The angels asked if I was sure of the "Neuman" spelling. "Of course," I naively replied. Who would falsify a name on a legal document? Oh yes, my first mother. Yes, she did.

In the summer of 2009, Kinsolving Investigations found my first family in five days; they discovered and reported that I was really a "Newman." I trembled to have my first mother's name, address, and phone number. To know I had a brother. To read about my grandfather's colorful life in his obituary. I finally felt like a human being instead of a mythical creature. 

Subsequent attempts to contact my first mother, by another first mother and then by myself, proved fruitless. My fmom met me with silence, and the first mother with a calm, "No, I don't think I'll ever be interested." Repeated over and over. I felt empty and demoralized. I still didn't count. I was invisible. I decided to e-mail my brother. Silence. A few weeks later, I found him on Facebook, and screamed out loud. He looked so much like me! I wanted to touch the screen and connect with him. I sent him another message, introducing myself and hoping that he'd be open to talking to me. Then I waited. 

4 comments:

Susie said...

I am so sorry that your mom won't talk to you. I cannot imagine not wanting a relationship with my child.

I hope your brother will, even if he has to go against your mother to know you.

Susie

ms. marginalia said...

Thank you, Susie. It does suck to feel invisible.

I did actually meet my brother, as upcoming posts will reveal, and I have spoken on the phone with my fmom. It's very complicated, as all things adoption are.

Unknown said...

Thank you for your honesty. I am new to your blog, but am following it with interest. I have five adopted children (from the foster care system). My oldest tried reuniting with his fmom, but she couldn't remember him (drugs). He told me he was glad to finally have a face and has moved on with his life. My second has not had any contact with her fmom since she was about four years old. We have an open adoption with our youngest three (sibling set). I'm trying to anticipate and prepare for what I might go through with them. I have tried to be completely open and honest with them. I'm also trying to understand what they might go through emotionally at some point.

I'm sorry your fmom is so closed to meeting you. She's missing out on a lot of blessings. Hang in there!

ms. marginalia said...

Thank you for reading and commenting, mamamargie.

It sounds like you are committed to keeping communication with your children open. I know it's not easy to talk about adoption and first families, but it's so important. It must be especially hard with five children and different situations.

I used to have a really hard time discussing it with my aparents, but they've been my rock this past year. I love them with all I've got. We have learned to trust each other.