Sunday, October 03, 2010

Searching, Part I

Searching for me was a process. Getting to the point of deciding to do something took a long time. Having courage and money and support was part of it. I had to be in a place where I knew I wouldn't be shattered if the response was negative. That said, I really wanted to know who I was before I was the me that all my friends and family know. It sounds very complicated, and in some ways it is. I was worried also about hurting my aparents, whom I love with all my heart. I felt disloyal to them by opening up this can of worms. But it was my can of worms, and there was no escaping its presence in the front of my mind. 

I remember finding my Pre-Adoptive Agreement in my aparents' file cabinet, in a manila folder labeled "Adoption," when I was 12. The agreement named me as "Baby Girl Neuman." I had a last name! At least I assumed it was my last name; who would make up "Neuman"? More on that later.  I rolled the name around my brain and imagined being a "Neuman." It gave me something concrete, although it was only a fragment of what I wanted to know. 


Although I always wanted to search, I had neither the time, inclination, or outward push to make it happen until I was in my mid-twenties. For a number of years in the 1990's, I lived in Berkeley, where I was working on a Ph.D. in art history at Cal. One of my housemates was a woman my age who had also been adopted. She was interested in what it meant to be adopted and invited me to go to an adoptee support group with her. We talked about what it meant to be adopted, and I read some foundational books in adoption psychology that began to help me normalize my emotional experiences. I was envious of those who had found their families and seemed to be more at peace with themselves. 

The members of PACER, the support group, encouraged me to write off for my non-identifying information, which I did in 1997 after having to ask my adoptive parents notarize a permission slip to verify that they approved of my desire to search. It was infantilizing to have my wishes and opinions count for nothing. A "no" from my parents would have barred the path forward, but I was relieved when they readily agreed. I paid $75, and two weeks later received six sheets of paper that summarized who I was before my parents brought me home, before I became the person attached to my aparents and my family. When I began my first reinvention of self at the ripe old age of 10 weeks. I read the physical descriptions of my first mother, first father, my first mother's parents, and the circumstances of my birth, over and over. I began to give myself permission to imagine who these ghostly people were. I wondered if they ever thought about me. 

I was adopted in a state that in extremely restrictive in terms of adoption laws. Missouri mandates the use of confidential intermediaries (CIs) to make contact. I didn't have the money to pay for this service until several years later, when I was married and more financially stable. I called the court, filled out forms, and waited for the agency to contact me. I wrote a $350 check to the CI, and gave her a letter I wanted her to read to my first parents. Then I waited for what seemed like five interminable months. At last she called me. 

"I don't have good news, I am afraid," the CI said. "Your birthmother would barely speak to me, and just kept repeating, 'I knew this day would come,' and 'I don't want to know.'" I felt all the blood drain from my face. I cried. The CI encouraged me to let move on. "I could try calling her again, but I doubt she'd change her answer. You can try again in three years." "Okay," I answered. I am ever the compliant adoptee. 

Three years went by. Then another five. I had two children. I was sick. Part of my being sick had to do with a hereditary blood disorder that I knew I'd inherited from my first mom, so I screwed up the courage to get back on the searching carousel. I called the court again, filled out the papers, sent off my check for $450. I wrote a new letter for the CI to read to my first parents, and enclosed a detailed medical history questionnaire. Then the painful wait began anew. I called the CI after two months. After four months. 

Five months later, I received an unbelievably cruel letter from the CI, which ended on this lovely note: "It seems like your birth mother has gone to great lengths to make sure she wouldn't be found or contacted again, and I feel it's time to give up all attempts at finding her. I have $81 in out-of-pocket expenses. Please send a check to…" This was unacceptable. I flew into a rage. She had found her eight years ago! What could have happened? And blaming me? Unconscionable! I called the CI, was uncharacteristically irate and let her have it with both barrels, and then asked her to read through my file again and tell me everything she could, IMMEDIATELY. She did, and then sent me a new summary of non-identifying information. And you know what? She called back to tell me that she'd misspelled my first mother's last name and had found her, after all. I swear up and down, without any proof, that the CI is a first mother herself. She was far too protective of my fmom and rude about what I was doing legally. I am sure there's a conflict of interest in there somewhere. Either that, or she is the most pathetically unprofessional woman EVER. Maybe both.

The overall result of the second phone call was the same; my first mother desired no contact, although I got a little bit more medical history and found out that I had possible siblings and my grandfather had died. I sighed. I felt so alone and so unwanted by people whom I desperately wanted to love me back--or at least acknowledge that I exist. I felt powerless and isolated. Civilians (the nonadopted) didn't know what to say or how to help me. I folded in on myself and tried to put one foot in front of the other. To convince myself I was okay not knowing, which wasn't true. I couldn't lie to myself anymore. 

No comments: