Monday, June 20, 2011

Valkyrie

I am named after one of the Valkyries, which is kick ass. In Old Norse, my name means either "the wild, stormy one," or "the curly one," presumably having Odin's curls. So DON'T FUCKING CALL ME "CARE-AH" or I will come slay your sorry self. And not politely.

Yes, I am having one of those days.

I knew it was going to be hard when I instinctively began listening to Bach's work in minor keys. Then I had a great long talk with the smart and supportive Amanda; that went a long way to cheering me up. It is good to feel that I am not alone.

I got home and saw that someone from Osnabrueck in Germany had read my blog and I got to thinking about 20 summers ago when I was haring around Connemara and trying to learn Irish in the company of a wonderful German man named Oliver. I remembered eating delicious fresh salmon and hiking across the Inis Mhor and trying to pack declensions and difficult syntax into my head and despairing. It was great craic, though. I drank way too much Guinness, but I was 22. Who cared?

Oliver was very serious about friendship and what it meant to stick by people. He told me that Germans don't take friendship superficially and build friendships slowly, usually only over years. This being so different from the American veneer of smiles with nothing underneath, it struck me profoundly. It was exactly what a lost young woman wanted to hear: that Freundschaft was real and tangible, and very difficult to rupture if it were true.

I looked around and saw a plethora of falseness, in myself and others. Perhaps it is not such a surprise I married a German after all. Not that I love all the formality and some of the stickier parts of the culture, but German friends really don't let you down. They don't.

I hope Oliver is doing well and enjoying life. I have a very special place in my heart for him.

And then...my own family. I am in this funk in part because I despair of ever having a "normal" relationship with C's family. I spoke with A yesterday, and it was great, sort of. We caught up, I got my endorphin high talking to my little brother, and then I crashed. He is busy with his fellowship applications and was a bit distracted, enough for me to ask if he was upset with me. I hate feeling like I am yet another annoying obligation, which was how I felt afterwards. Will we ever just get to know each other? Is it simply too weird to find a sister in midlife? Do we have too little in common to sustain this? Can he reach out to me, a little? Am I too much of a reminder of a family mistake they'd all like to forget? Can we talk about the awkwardness instead of pretending it's not there?

Hence the lugubrious Bach all morning and me telling Amanda that I don't feel strong enough to deal with this. I am sick of having to feel strong, and then at one point I broke down and felt all the pain of my loss welling up inside me. My little self, the one who feels things most acutely, was crying about all the people she wanted to love and hold her but who couldn't, didn't, or had just failed her. It's a long list, including exes, C herself, etc. I imagined my grown-up self bending down, enfolding her in my arms, and just listening, softly murmuring, "I know, I know." After a minute or two, the pain passed. I couldn't tell if I'd stuffed it down or if it had dissipated because I had acknowledged the child's sense of failure. We'll see. I know I am on the slippery slope to self-loathing/hopelessness/suicidal ideation again, and it's not pretty.

At least there's always Valkyrie Kara as backup.

7 comments:

Real Daughter said...

Im on that slippery slope right now, too. Love you.

Von said...

Yesterday was bad, today is better, hope tomorrow will be better for you and keep taking the Bach. xx

The Declassified Adoptee said...

Kara, you are too valuable as a person to be having family baggage and barriers they have to climb over affecting you so deeply. Maybe right now would be a good time to take some time for yourself, to nurture your own feelings and well-being and not worry about being there for everyone else. I know that's hard. As adoptees, it is hard for us not to want to bend over backwards for those we so desperately want in our lives, hoping it will work out. You are worthy of the love and support of everyone in your life, even if it doesn't always work out that way, you are worthy of it :-)

Like Von said, tomorrow will be a better day.

((love you))

Amanda

Unknown said...

.

Unknown said...

oops, okay, yes, I am a valkyrie too, the really mean one named Joy. Yay. All modern valkyries wear ruby red lipstick and it is fantastic, because we look so stunning while we kick all the asses.

Ich liebe dich Gummibarchen!

Betyie said...

I thought I should just leave a "Hi" from Germany (though not Osnarbrück)

Hope you will be feeling better soon. Listening to Bach always seems to be a good way to make one feel better.

Best
b.

ms. marginalia said...

Thanks, everyone! And Gruetzi, Betiye. I hope you will stick around.

I am not all that well versed in German literature, having dipped in and out of it. I was guided mostly by my morose 11th grade English teacher who loved Mann and Kafka, and then Boreth insisted I read "The Magic Mountain" about 18 years ago. I stumbled across a review of a book about Theodor Fontane, who apparently is another one of the greats between Goethe and Mann, but about whom I knew nothing. I didn't think Mark would know anything about him, either, considering how he slept through most of German class, but he did know the name. I bet next time we go to his parents' house there will be those little yellow lit books with Fontane's name on it, with the pages uncut, just like the Goethe and Heine.

That said, I am intrigued and think I will try Fontane; the title of the review called it "Fontane's Heroine Addiction," which sounds very intriguing indeed. Gotta love those powerful women causing trouble in Bismarckian Prussian homes.