Wednesday, June 15, 2011

OR

I am off to the hospital in a few minutes. It was funny yesterday to be on the patient end of all the admissions questions: any history of...; what medications do you take each day; how do you rate your pain on the scale of 0 to 10, where 0 is no pain and 10 is the worst pain imaginable?

I do my own theatrical riff on these with my patients, but you'd have to be my patient to enjoy the fun of it ;-).  I am missing work, actually. I love my patients and the PM team. Eight weeks and I hope to be back with the babies. We'll see. I think I prefer to be the RN in the OR, although the meds are good. The pain afterwards sucks.

I got a text from A this morning, a week after the last, asking if everything is okay because he hadn't heard from me. Which is nice on the one hand, but on the other, why'd it have to be phrased as though it's my job to do all the reaching out, to be all cheeriness and sunshine and light? "Hi! How're you! Yeah, I broke my arm, but that must pale in consequence to anything in your busy, busy life. You can't hurt MY feelings! I am an adoptee! I was born to be a punching bag." I'll text him after and say I am okay.

I am looking forward to my propofol/versed cocktail. See you on the other side, with my new, metal-reinforced left arm.

4 comments:

elizabeth said...

Damn you have to have surgery on your arm?! Ouch, I'm so sorry. I'll be thinking of you. xoxo

Sunday Koffron Taylor said...

Geeze! I am so sorry; I hope you make a quick recovery.

And yes I agree it is very annoying to feel like it is always your job to walk the tight rope, and be responsible for every aspect of your relationships with your own freaking family. In your case I hope it improves in time as everyone becomes more comfortable with the new normal.

XOXO keep your chin up and your meds down!

Cricket said...

I hope everything went well today! Thinking of you.. <3

Von said...

Yep the meds are the best thing about surgery.Hope it all goes well and life comes out in better shape.