Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Forever a child in Missouri

I am not considered a fully functioning adult under Missouri law. As it stands, I need to have my aparents send notified consent, and both my natural parents send notified consent, before I am allowed to have any information about who my natural parents are. This information is brokered by a Confidential Intermediary, appointed by the court and whom the adoptee must pay. It's not cheap, either. Three years ago I paid $450 plus additional expenses for searching to a woman who was extremely rude to me and told me "it's time to give up all attempts at finding your birth mother." Seriously. She said that, when she wasn't bright enough to see that C's name was misspelled. Yes, C had moved. Big deal! If you're a searcher, isn't that your job? Oh yeah, and let's not forget that this same idiot told me that C moved from one state to another in an attempt to hide from me. Yep, she did. And she was LYING to me. Moreover, this same CI told me she prided herself on how caring she is towards adoptees. Well, if that's caring, she is one f'd up psycho cookie.

Rather than proposing bills that would allow unfettered adult adoptee access to original birth certificates, current lawmakers in the Do Not Show Me State are trying to make things "easier" for adult adoptees to search by saying that consent of the aparents is no longer necessary, and that once the natural parents are dead, the adoptee can know who they are. Wow, what a gift. I allowed to know my family once they're dead. Nice.

People: it's not about SEARCHING. You know what, Missouri Senators, Representatives, and CIs? I found my mother WITHOUT YOU. I want my original birth certificate, the same as everyone else gets. It shouldn't be a state secret. It shouldn't be in lockdown. It's an official document about ME, with my name on it and information about me. Yes, I have an amended birth certificate, but it is in addition, not instead of. You do NOT have the right to keep my OBC from me. NO RIGHT AT ALL. Nor is it okay to give my natural parents the right to veto my access to MY record. I am a grown adult, not an infant.

Read a summary of the pathetic excuses for Adoptee Denied Rights bills in Missouri here and here.

Ugh. Makes me sick and angry.

2 comments:

Von said...

I continue to be shocked by this and your lack of rights and the disregard shown you all.Hopefully the social media will eventually make a total nonsense of legislators ideas of reunion and who should know what.There's still the matter of your birth certificates..what are they so scared of?

Unknown said...

Crazy!