Saturday, November 27, 2010

Demons

I have a wonderful friend whom I had the great pleasure to meet through adoption activism. He is creative, supportive, and very intelligent, although he would blush if I said this to his face or mentioned his name here.

He has been working enthusiastically and tirelessly to put together my Newman family tree. I have ancestors who fought in the Revolutionary War, and in the Civil War. They have lived in the same area of Indiana for close to 200 years. Talk about stability! I've learned about relatives who have committed suicide in various ways. I have seen some of myself in the stories of various lives of my relatives.

Then last night, my friend sent me a picture he'd found of C, her Senior Picture in 1969 that was taken for her university's yearbook. There she was. Pregnant with me. It was the first time I'd seen a picture of her and thought, "Yes, I do look like her." We have the same face shape, eyes, and eyebrows. I still look a lot more like my grandfather, I think, but there was no denying this time that I come from C.

The pain shot through me like an arrow, leaving burning, poisonous residue in the wound. Yes, I look like her. I already know that I share some of her gestures. What others take for granted, I can't. It's not even just that I can't: she doesn't want me to come near her, or ever to know her.

The more that time goes by, I become convinced that she either didn't tell my brother that she doesn't mind our having a relationship, or that she put a different kind of pressure on him. His silence speaks volumes. I cannot even begin to understand how people can treat family this way. He claims that he's upholding the honor of his parents; I think he's taking the path of least resistance and losing out in the process.

To compound my pain, I read some first parent blogs this week, and I noticed that in more than a few of them, their placed kids are all but absent. It's immensely triggering. How can these parents say that they love their children, and then keep them at arm's length, waffle about setting dates to meet with them, or refuse to tell their families about their placed child at all? How can married people with two kids already think it's a great idea to place kids number three and four in order to do "God's will" and provide children to those who don't already have them? I imagine the placed kids feeling betrayed by their first parents, and the kept kids wondering anxiously if and when they might be placed, as well. None of this makes sense to me. It seems so much like adoption double-speak in which the adoptees, as ever, are damned.

I've also been thinking a great deal lately about the burdens that some adoptees bear (which isn't to say that adoptive parents and first parents don't also have burdens, but my concern here and now is for adoptees). How do we get to such a place that our very foundations begin to corrode? Why are we told again and again that our mothers loved us so much they gave us away? It doesn't make sense in any logical way, and then for those of us who find mothers who really don't love us at all, it's a very cruel joke.

I ask, too, how I have descended to a place where death is preferable to almost all other options. I was reading an essay by Howard Kushner about American attitudes vis a vis suicide in the nineteenth century, "Meriwether Lewis and Abraham Lincoln," and was struck by what he wrote about Freud's conception of melancholia and suicide as ineffective, incomplete mourning for traumatic events. For mourners, the world is empty, but for a transitory period--they learn to cope; for melacholics, the world becomes a painful cypher because they have no ego, and thus their defenses to trauma are limited. They are marginalized because they don't have a stable sense of who they are or a way to filter what happens in the world. The unresolved grief felt by melacholics results in chipping away at the will to live, and increased self-hatred and anger at the deserting love object.

Sounds familiar to me. Here I am, mourning what I've lost, being told that I should be grateful and have nothing to mourn, and having my own mother tell me that she wished I had never existed. I am trying to pick up the pieces of me and put them together in a meaningful way, but it's incredibly difficult to forge new coping mechanisms from the ruins of a self that was thoroughly burned to the ground. It is a wearying task, after a lifetime of being bullied, devalued, called ugly and many other things, to find the strength to stand up to C, and everyone else who has tormented me, and yell, "ENOUGH!"

I am angry that I lacked the strength to stop this travesty long ago, and I don't want to let it continue. But it is a struggle, every day, not to give in and find my own peace. Seriously. I have my medication, friends, support, a loving adoptive family, and one ncousin who sees all that is good in me--but it is a tiring uphill battle in a world that sucks.

I have to keep reminding myself not to ask "Why?" and instead ask "How can I get through this?" One minute at a time. One freaking minute.

6 comments:

Von said...

So, so hard and how the ironies of adoption get us every time, the double whammy and the extra punch in the guts.
Anyone who still views adoption as beautiful needs to listen up, pay attention and hear the ever growing swell of voices.
Yes I understand it, understand where you are and know that sometimes it is minute by minute.We have much to overcome but as we say in my country "Never let the bastards get you down!".x

The Declassified Adoptee said...

Who was it that said it...I think it was Linda...who said (rough paraphrase) that the love and happiness from one thing in your life does not erase the loss in another part of your life. She's right.

It is difficult to make sense of our own reality when everyone around us has an idea of how we *ought* to feel.

I have some ancestors who fought in the Revolutionary War too! You should apply to DAR with me <3

Love you, Amanda

Unknown said...

I think you are amazing and beautful. <3

juxtaposition said...

Every single time I read one of your thought-provoking entries, I want to respond. The problem being, that by the time I get to the end, I am consumed by grief-for you, for me, for all of us.
Thank you for writing, K. It just touches a spot in my soul when you do, and for that, I thank you.

~R

Unknown said...

Adoption is one of those double-edged swords that is both a blessing and a curse. A blessing to those who have lost their parents to an understandable circumstance, such as drugs, crime, or death. But, it is a curse for those who were willingly given up and must battle the feelings of being unwanted and rejected.

My son was taken at birth because his mother was hallucinating during delivery and he tested positive for drugs. I got him at age 9. He had no memory of his nparents, because he had been in foster and group homes his entire life. We met his nfather when my son was 12. The nfather made it clear he did not want to take him back. My son met his nmother just recently (my son is now 22). She could not remember that she had given birth to him.

I have grieved with my son over his double losses, but also encouraged him to not let it take over his life. His nparents made their choices and my son can't change those. He asked me once if he was going to turn out to be like them. I told him that each person has his/her own pain that they carry in life, but it's entirely up to us as to whether we allow that pain to consume us or strengthen us. We mustn't always live in the darkness created by someone else's shadow.

Psalm 30:5, advises, "Weeping may last for the night, but there is a song of joy in the morning." Keep on doing what you're doing, K. I'm really proud of all you have accomplished with C. It may feel very discouraging at the moment, but you have made an impact on her. Hang in there for the long haul. It's not over yet. Hugs to you! :)

ms. marginalia said...

Thank you, all, for your love and support. Having your voices supporting me means the world.